Transferring from Rent Supplement

If you are getting Rent Supplement (RS) and qualify for social housing support, you can apply for HAP for your current accommodation.

If you have been in receipt of RS for a significant period of time, the Department of Social Protection may ask you to contact your local authority about your social housing support qualification, and applying for HAP.

If you enter the HAP scheme, your RS payments will stop once your application for HAP has been approved. Both you, as a HAP tenant, and your landlord will be written to at this point to clearly explain the process.

The Department of Social Protection may continue to pay RS to recipients who do not qualify for social housing support.